How about taking a basket of St. Patrick’s Day cheer to someone? That’s what we did today. I took two boys, each fortuituously named Patrick (one being our son and his friend), and we visited someone who really appreciated an Irish picnic lunch. Here’s what to put in your basket if you get inspired.
- Irish soda bread. Click here for my recipe
- Butter, unsalted, whipped (Land O’ Lakes makes it in an easy-to-carry tub)
- Corned beef, sliced for sandwiches, recipe below
- Swiss cheese, sliced for sandwiches
- Pumpernickel/rye bread and croissants for sandwiches
- Shamrock cookies
- Irish tea
- Beverage of your choice
- Paper products — festive plates, napkins, forks, knives, cups (all for easy clean-up, take your own trash bag and leave no trace)
- Tablecloth, green preferably
- St. Patrick, if you happen to have a little statue of the Irish saint
- Last, take along a happy spirit and your smiling Irish eyes!
Best Corned Beef with Glaze
- Corned beef brisket
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
Boil corned beef in water with spice packet enclosed with the beef. Simmer for at least one hour per pound. More cooking will not hurt it. Remove from water and place in baking dish. Mix orange marmalade, brown sugar and mustard and spread on beef, Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes until topping is sizzling and crispy. Slice hot or at room temperature.